Your Backup is Safety Frozen
What is Safety Freeze? Why did this occur?
Safety Freeze is a feature that protects people from losing their backed up data when errors occur. Backblaze detected a major inconsistency between the backup records on your computer and the records on the servers, and "froze" the state of your backup.
It can be caused by running the same Backblaze installation from multiple locations (due to Migration Assistant, or cloning software), but other factors can cause it, such as restoring from an older local backup.
What do I do next?
The first step will be to determine if you have lost any data. If you have, immediately prepare a restore of any and all missing data. For information on how to do so, please refer here.
Once you have restored all of your missing data, or if you have determined you do not need to, you can move on to resolving the Safety Freeze.
Resolving the Safety Freeze
To start, the Backblaze software will need to be uninstalled and reinstalled. Here are the steps:
1. Reboot your computer to make sure all Backblaze files are unlocked.
2. Uninstall Backblaze.
• Mac -- Hold down the "option" key and click on the Backblaze menu bar icon and choose Uninstall
• Windows -- use the Add/Remove Programs utility to remove Backblaze.
3. Visit https://secure.backblaze.com/user_signin.htm and sign in to your Backblaze account with your email address and password.
4. On the "Overview" page, select the appropriate download link for your operating system at the bottom right-hand corner
5. Run the installer you downloaded.
6. Click here for the next steps to complete the inherit backup state to reconnect to your license and your previously backed up data. Upon completing the Inherit Backup State, the freeze will be removed.
Be sure that you complete step 6 to reconnect to your previous license and backup!
Each new installation of the Backblaze software creates a unique Backblaze ID and backup. This prevents a new installation of the Backblaze software from mistakenly overwriting an existing backup. The new installation of Backblaze installed on the computer will either be running as a 15-day trial, or automatically assigned a new License if in a Business Group, because the license is still tied to the frozen backup. At this juncture, there are two options to move forward: inherit the frozen backup and license using the Inherit Backup State feature OR remove the frozen backup. Either via a License Transfer, or deleting the old computer Backup if in a Business Group.