Welcome to the getting started guide for Backblaze B2 and MSP360! With Backblaze B2 and MSP360, you can automate your server backups to secure them offsite. The following guide explains how to set up MSP360 on a single server. If you are interested in managing multiple servers, please take a look at our MSP360 MBS guide.
Once you have completed the steps below, you will have a true set-it-and-forget-it backup solution in place.
You can also download this guide as a PDF.
Step 1: Setup your Backblaze B2 account
If you haven’t done so already, create an account at https://www.backblaze.com/b2/sign-up.html
- Enter your email address and password to create your Backblaze account.
- You can then verify your phone number to begin using B2. You’ll automatically be prompted to go to My Settings to set up a phone number for your account. The mobile phone number you enter MUST be able to receive SMS messages. Note: If you already have a Backblaze account, you can log in at https://secure.backblaze.com/user_signin.htm and click on My Settings.
- Once in the My Settings area, you’ll need to enter your Backblaze account password and the mobile phone number (remember - it must support SMS messages!). Then, click Send Code. Once you receive the 6 digit code on your mobile phone, type it into the verification field and click to Verify.
You can now retrieve your Application Key and Key ID. You will need these to setup your MSP360 account.
- Click on App Keys and then click on the link that reads 'Add A New Application Key’.
- You can then enter a Name for the key and click on the button that says "Create New Key".
- When you have the Key ID and the Application Key, be sure to copy them and keep both of these in a safe location. Once you close this window, the current Application Key will not display again and you will need both of these numbers to set up your MSP360 account.
IMPORTANT: If you lose the Application Key, you will need to create another Application Key. The new key that you create will invalidate the old one.
Your B2 account is now created and ready to be used with MSP360.
Step 2: Create Your MSP360 account
Now that you have created a Backblaze account, you can begin setting up your MSP360 backup client. Once you install MSP360, you can begin your free fully-functional 15 day trial.
- If you don't already have an installer downloaded, you can get started with MSP360 by going to the MSP360, website, entering your email address, check the Captcha form and clicking on the green “Download” button.
- Once you have signed up successfully, the installer will automatically download to your computer. You can then click on the activation code to copy it. You can then double click on the Installer.
- Double-click on the Installer to open it and click “Next”.
- Select the destination for your backup software and click on the “Install” button.
- Click on the “Finish” button to run the backup software.
Step 3: Create Your Backup Plan
Your backup plan will allow you to specify B2 cloud storage, set encryption, and schedule it accordingly.
- Click on the "Files" button to start setting up your backup plan.
- Select Local or Cloud Backup. Click "Next".
- Click on “Add New Storage” and a cloud storage selector will pop up.
- Select Backblaze B2 as your storage target.
- Enter a Display name. If you have copied your Key ID and Application Key, you can enter them now. Note: If you do not have access to your Application Key and Key ID, you will need to create a new one within your Backblaze account.
- Then, you can create a new bucket and assign a name to it.
- You can now select Backblaze B2 and click on the "Next" button.
- You can either choose a name for your backup plan or click on “Next” to keep the default backup plan name.
- Click “Next” to leave the backup plan in Advanced Mode, which offers encryption, versioning, and block-level backup.
- If you would like to automatically backup deleted files, mark the checkbox next to “Track local file deletes in backup storage”. You can also select VSS Shadow Copy if you would like to backup files that are in use. However, please note that this may take additional system resources. Click the “Next” button.
- In this step, you have to specify data to back up. You can browse the file tree and choose whether to back up all of the files or some specific folders. After making a selection click "Next".
- To ensure that all data is secure, leave the selection as “Backup all files in selected folders”. You can then click on the “Next” button to proceed.
- You can now choose to encrypt your data and set a password for that encryption. Confirm the password by entering it again. Then check “Encrypt filenames” and click “Next”.
- In this step, you can set a number of versions for your files or specify the amount of time to keep versions. You can also choose to delete prior versions of your files. By default, MSP360 will keep three versions of your files. Click “Next” to proceed.
- You can now set a backup schedule for backups to occur automatically in real-time or on a schedule. We recommend continuous, real-time backup as that gives you the greatest level of protection. However, you can also choose to schedule your backups or to backup on click.
- Here, you can set an alert for failing backups. Enter an email address for notifications in case the backups fail and click “Next”.
- Once you review your created backup plan settings, you can click “Next”.
- Click on “Finish” to begin the first backup.