Locating Deleted or Previous Versions of Files for Restore
First, sign into your account and navigate to the View/Restore Files page and scroll down.
To locate files that have been deleted or removed from your computer, often you need to change the "Files Backed Up From" drop down on the View/Restore Files page. Leave the "From" side on "Beginning of Backup" and set the "To" side to a date when the files you are looking for existed on your computer. The file viewer will reload and you will be able to navigate to the location of the deleted files. This same process applies to locating previous versions of files. Using this method, the backup snapshot can be rolled back as far as the current version history setting allows, 30 days by default.
By default, the Backblaze Online Backup service has a running 30-day version history. When a file, folder or drive is no longer available to Backblaze because it's been deleted, removed, or a drive has failed or is disconnected, but the computer continues contacting our servers, the already backed up data will be retained for 30 days and is available to be restored. After 30 days, the deleted or removed files are expunged from the Backblaze backup and securely erased. "Missing drive" email reminders are sent at 14, 21, and 28 days since a drive was last seen by our servers.
We also offer extended version history options, either 1-year or forever, for an additional cost per backup. Details are available here.
Please note: You can now apply filters to your view on the "View/Restore Files" page
You now have the option of applying the following filters to your file view on the "View/Restore Files" page. The options are:
1. Show hidden Files: This will display data normally hidden from the default view
2. Files Backed Up in the Last Week: This will display only files backed up in the last week
3. Files Accumulated in Forever Version History: Please note, if your back is set to any other version history besides Forever Version history, this option will not appear for you.
Articles in this section
- How to Create a Restore from Your Backblaze Backup
- How to use the restore app
- Apple Address Book Restore Guide
- How to Check the Status of your Restore Drive
- Downloading a Restore
- How do I find the Unlock Code/Encryption Key for my Snapshot drive?
- How to move files from your Restore to your Local Hard Drive.
- I have Extended Version History, how can I find my files?
- How to Order a Restore Drive
- How do I delete files from my Restore Drive?