Due to a widely used internet certificate that expired on September 30th, 2021, users running older versions of their operating systems will need to update their certificate manually in order to access our website, along with many other websites, as well as to continue backing up.
Mac users on operating systems 10.9. 10.10, or 10.11 would be unable to access our site and continue backing up due to this issue. This issue can present as an Insecure Connection error when trying to access Backblaze.com or as the software itself reporting that the last backup was completed on September 29th 2021, and that it has not been able to backup since then. These are just some examples of symptoms stemming from this issue.
The first way to resolve this is to update your operating system to Mac OS 10.12 or later. If you are unable to update your operating system, please do the following procedure to manually update the certificate:
1. Visit https://letsencrypt.org/certs/isrgrootx1.pem to download the certificate, and save it in the Documents folder.
2. Open Terminal, paste this command, and press enter:
sudo security -v add-trusted-cert -d -r trustRoot -k "/Library/Keychains/System.keychain" ~/Documents/isrgrootx1.pem
3. You will be prompted to enter your Mac admin password, but won’t show input in the Terminal window as you type. You just need to type it in and hit enter.
4. After doing the above, navigate to https://secure.backblaze.com/update.htm and run our latest installer to ensure this change is implemented in our client.
5. Allow Backblaze to run for a few hours and then check back for progress.
Articles in this section
- Quickstart Guide for offloading Veeam Cloud Tier backups to Backblaze B2 with immutability (v2)
- Removing SSO from your account
- Cannot Connect to Backblaze due to Security Certificate - Win
- Cannot Connect to Backblaze due to Security Certificate - Mac
- Why am I seeing "There was an issue fetching your account" when I try to login?
- Two Factor Verification Issues
- Canceling and Deleting a Backblaze Account